Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Rayanne Graff

So, among all the costume parties I've been to in the passed two weeks, I'm going to blog about the non-halloween one only because I'm extremely mad at myself for letting this legendary show go over my head in the 90's, and I must blog about how awesome it is now. Thanks to my friend Billy, I put together a last minute Rayanne Graff from My So Called Life costume for a 90's themed party we were invited to. (Warning: This post will consist of consecutive Mac webcam pictures) 

Close ups of the accessories: 
(Snapback: Mishka, Floral-print dress and Socks: TopShop, Flannels: Club Monaco and h&m, Leaf Earring: Stand in Soho, Rest of outfit: Courtesy of my mother's infamous closet)
Basically, an outfit that consists of a lot of my favorite things (floral print, flannel, accessories that I love but never wear, converse, a snapback, and a fur coat) all worn effortlessly at once. Ironically, I've been putting random braids in my hair and (embarrassingly enough) putting little effort into what I've been wearing for the passed few weeks, so when Billy introduced me to Rayanne the other day, naturally I fell in love.

Entering college (especially one like FIT), any person would assume that I, without a doubt, stomp around the halls with my nails polished, outfit carefully planned out, and with the wind blowing through my perfectly done hair. When in fact, college is having the exact opposite affect on me. While the majority of the girls (and the small percentage of guys) in my school look amazingly flawless every single day, I think my urge to look "amazingly flawless" was left somewhere in the dirty and old hallways of my high school. Its kind-of a paradox, I guess. I went to a rather ghetto high school, so I woke-up early every day to fix my hair and murder my feet during school days wearing heels. Now everyone in FIT looks undeniably gorgeous, and I barely care that I leave my hair curly most days (and let's just say that 90% people I went to high school with probably thought my hair was naturally straight). And I'm not trying to be the "I must be different and ~uinque~ from everyone else" type, but I guess since I grew up being convinced that only what is socially acceptable is beautiful, I'm realizing that that's not true. Beauty is generally conceived with the idea of perfection, but things that socially are considered ugly or weird can be really esthetic, too. Now, not that Rayanne is ugly (she's hot!), but in my opinion she's a great representation of this socio-realism concept. 

And this doesn't at all mean that I'm losing interest in fashion, because I still have my days where I want to put on my Jimmy Choos with a fancy dress and lust over the newest Dries Van Noten collection.
Now please excuse me while I attempt to feel better about the fact that I missed out on this show years ago, and watch every single episode and inevitably become obsessed with Rayanne and Angela...(and Jordan Catalano, of course!)

17 comments:

  1. Hey it's Rayanne!! She was always my favorite character, looking great ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to FIT for a semester back in 2008 and I went through the exact same thing you're going through. These people who wake up 2 hours early every morning to do their hair and put on 4 pounds of make up will be exhausted in a year, I promise.

    I commend you for being yourself, it's extremely refreshing.

    http://www.itsgreeds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute pictures!!!and aw you go to FIT!that's awesome!i only attended a summer program last year.wish i could stay there longer!and i just can't agree more with your words.lol




    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha you're such a badass. Docs 4 lyfe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. her style is awesome and you portray it so well. literally the epitome of the 90s. i need to start watching this show

    xx, beryl

    thefashionenthusiast1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, that show is one of my favorite shows of all time and I love Rayanne so much! xx

    http://outlandishmanner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi dear, thanks for your comment on my blog today. I luv your blog's name - because I Always skip breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO COOL. Ure UNIQUE. Follow u now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so amazing...My So Called Life is definitely my favorite TV show, and I love Rayanne's style. Your costume is perfect! and in response to your comment: I'm thinking of applying to Smith, Barnard, Bowdoin and Vassar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha love it! I'm sorry you missed out on it! Thank you for your lovely comment!
    -Julia

    www.leSaltLake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, love the floral print of the dress. very 90s? the movie stills were great too, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, interesting because at least you did something different and most importantly, personal.

    Love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rayanne is such a badass. I love MSCL. I watch it obsessively on netflix during breaks. I almost went as Angela for halloween...

    attentionsquared.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently discovered My So Called Life! what a great 90's series. Rayanne is adorable and I see the fashion similarity. It's great! I think we undergo these lazy fashion phases. It's all part of it. Dress what you feel!

    http://curiouschase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. seriously you look so much like vanessa hudgens!!!! :D

    CROP.CRIP.CROP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty much everyone on that show is a fashion icon to me. Well... Other than Cherski. Aha.

    ReplyDelete