Monday, April 15, 2013

make misteaks


“I want to say something about bad writing. I’m proud of my bad writing. Everyone is so intelligent lately, and stylish. Fucking great. I am proud of Philip Guston’s bad painting, I am proud of Baudelaire’s mamma’s boy goo goo misery. Sometimes the lurid or shitty means having a heart, which’s something you have to try to have. Excellence nowadays is too general and available to be worth prizing: I am interested in people who have to find strange and horrible ways to just get from point A to point B.”

I've felt this way for a really long time now. Not just about writing, or art, but about everything. I feel like it's good to be proud of your mistakes. Mistakes in your art and mistakes in your life. Not to say all "bad" art or anything else like that are necessarily mistakes. Besides, no one masters something the first time they do it. You kind of have to fuck up to get better at whatever it is that you're doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment